I mentioned in my wordy post last week that I’d be sharing a post looking at how I run my business. I get so many emails asking me about how I got to be where I am now, I thought it would be fun to record a vlog sharing my journey and some tips for those of you that would love to be your own boss too!
To sum up a few of the main points:
- My business developed organically when I started writing this blog 5 years ago
- Doing the Health Coach certification with the Institute of Integrative Nutrition (IIN) was a game changer and allowed me to get here
- My biz uses all of my skills in art and design, community and youth work and health and wellness
- When I started my biz I worked full time for a year, then went down to part time and eventually full time
- Now that I have a baby I work three days a week and have outsourced some tasks to some virtual assistants
- My income streams are diverse
- I invested in myself and my business using business coaching and getting involved in other business communities
Top tips for wannabe bloggers and coaches:
- Start blogging now!
- Be authentically you – there’s no such thing as competition when you just put out who you really are, the right people are attracted to you
- Invest in yourself – get the right support through coaching (shameless plug, I offer that!) or investing in courses that will give you the skills and confidence you need
If any of you are interested in IIN and the health coaching certification, then sign up for my Do What You Love newsletter and get all the details as well as my exclusive discount and support package!
If you are an entrepreneur, what was your journey like? What tips would you have? If you want to run your own business, what do you feel is holding you back?
Tips for people in business for themselves – believe in yourself
ask for help
don’t avoid stuff that needs doing
don’t be afraid of failure
Some of these points may seem corny or overused but I often find myself doubting my abilities. When that happens I have to look in the mirror and have a mental shake up. Also lifting weight’s whilst listening to loud music helps. Love the blog!
Great tips! Definitely not avoiding doing the things that need doing – great reminder!
So inspiring! I’ve been thinking about doing the IIN course but not sure if I could fit it around working full time – it sounds really interesting though! x
It’s a great course, I managed it around working full time but it was a juggle!
Such an informative video! I love what you say about investing in yourself, I think that is so true. Slightly different context but my CrossFit coaches regularly go on extra courses etc and are constantly learning, I think it’s one of the reasons my box is so successful – something that can apply to all sectors of life/work.
How do you find the fact that you are working on your own when it comes to wanting to discuss/bounce ideas off other people?
Great point – it can be lonely and at the start I felt really alone but then I made ‘online’ friends and starting meeting up with local freelancers for company and biz talk!
“there’s no such thing as competition when you just put out who you really are, the right people are attracted to you” – LOVE this :)
This video was awesome to watch and super inspiring. You have accomplished so many amazing things and it sounds like you are living your dream life :)
It’s totally true though! It’s the best way to look at it. Glad you enjoyed the video!
Gr8 tips from a genuine and authentic pro, you!
I saved this ages ago to watch and FINALLY got round to watching it. Great video! Great tips! I’m not sure I could be a full-time blogger as I get a bit stressed with meeting deadlines for reviews or when companies reach out to me. But I guess you just learn and time-manage sensibly (which I suppose is always tricky when you have a full-time job!)
Though saying that I’d love someone to pay me to run ;-) haha!!