As organised as I am, one area that I still struggle with from time to time is remembering to prepare decent snacks to take to work. Failure to have something healthy and tasty on hand opens up the possibility of a 3pm raid of the corner shop for a chocolate bar! Having some healthy snacks on hand is a good idea for several reasons, not just avoiding the junk food:
- A healthy well balanced snack will support your energy levels helping to avoid energy dips and that dreaded 3 / 4pm slump
- Having a snack is a good way of incorporating more nutrient rich fruit and vegetables into your diet
- By eating something before you reach the ‘ravenous’ stage of hunger, you are likely to make better food choices and not over eat at your next meal.
- You will be more productive – something that more employers should be aware of for their staff! If you have had a well balanced snack, you are more likely to have better energy levels and focus, and therefore perform tasks better.
When you are organised it can be easy to prepare nutritious snacks to take to work with you. Some of my favourite options are:
- yoghurt with fruit and granola
- hummus and veggie sticks
- boiled eggs
- crackers with nut butter
- home made dried fruit and nut bars
However, if you are going through a stressful period or are just generally busy, that is the danger time when you might not have the time to prepare something. For that reason I think it’s a good idea to stock up the office with a range of snack foods that will last well. Some good examples are:
- Dried fruit and nuts
- Healthy snack bars
- Fresh fruit
You can get deliveries of fresh fruit for your office from Fruitdrop which I think is a wonderful idea! Any thoughtful employers out there looking to support their staff to be happy and healthy could think about using this service. Then no matter how busy you are, you have the option for a healthy snack of fruit. Keep some almonds or cashews in your office drawer as well and you’ll have a well balanced snack with carbohydrates from the fresh fruit and some protein and fat from the nuts. Click here for all the details of the different Fruitdrop boxes.
One last tip, make sure that when you are having your snack you are taking a break from your desk, if only for 5 minutes! Wolfing down your fruit in front of the computer screen won’t do you much good, so take that opportunity to have a little break. Same goes for your lunch as well of course!
Do you have a favourite snack for having at work? I love pink lady apples! Do you have a favourite fruit for snacks? Check back later for a great snack ball recipe too!
*post in partnership with Fruitdrop, all content and opinions are my own