Recipe: Coconut and Maca Snack Balls (for hormonal balance)
Maca was one of the first ‘super foods’ I experimented with when I got into blogging. It’s also one of the only powders that I still purchase on a regular basis! It’s benefits are quite wide ranging, it is an adaptogen which means that it works with your body where it is needed the most. These benefits can include:
- Supports the adrenal glands to recover from stress
- Can increase stamina and energy for athletes
- Improves sexual function and increases sex drive
- Supports hormonal balance
In these snack balls I’ve combined maca with another hormone balancing super food, coconut and coconut oil. Fat is essential to hormone production and the fats in coconut oil are especially useful for this. Sex hormones are synthesised from cholesterol so it’s vitally important to get good sources of fat!
Add some dates for sweetness, fibre and added carbs and you have a tasty snack that is great for any time of day, would make a super snack for taking to work, but perfect for pre workout too…
- 1 heaping cup of dried dates
- 1 cup of desiccated coconut
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1/4 cup of maca powder
- pinch of salt
- Process the dates and coconut in a food processor until they start to clump together
- Add the maca powder and salt, then melt the coconut oil until it becomes liquid
- Turn the food processor on and drizzle in the coconut oil until well combined
- Remove the mixture from the food processor and roll into balls
- Kept in the fridge, these should last at least a week if not longer. They could also be frozen.
- Instead of balls, you could press the mixture into a pan and cut into bars or squares
I actually quite like the taste of maca as it is, but in case you aren’t a fan, when combined with the coconut and dates it becomes more mellow and ‘caramel’ flavoured.
I also love the fudge texture of these. Unlike other dried fruit an nut balls, the addition of coconut oil and a good whirl in the food processor gives these a smoother texture. Mmm! As well as hormone balancing, these snacks would support fertility and relief from stress.
Have you tried maca before? What is your favourite pre workout snack?
↓ Pin it for later ↓