Now that I am firmly back on the weight loss wagon I’ve been exploring ways of ensuring I get more protein in my diet. For my body, increasing protein is a helpful weight loss strategy as it helps to stabilise my blood sugar levels and keeps me feeling full.
I love eggs for breakfast and incorporated into lunch, but with a little one, cooking them from scratch can be too time consuming at times. These little muffins offer a decent amount of protein in a grab and eat package perfect for a rushed breakfast or a lunchbox option. If you wanted to lower the calories in these muffins then you could replace a few of the eggs with egg whites, I would go for 6 egg whites in place of 4 of the eggs.
Alongside the protein and nutrient dense eggs, these muffins pack a good amount of veggie action too. I’ve used grated courgette and red onion here, but you could experiment with lots of different veggies. I’ve also used parmesan cheese, olives and Italian seasoning which gives these a bit of a pizza flavour!
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup of grated courgette (2 medium courgettes)
- 1 small red onion
- 60g grated parmesan cheese (approx 1/3 cup)
- 30g olives (about 20 olives in total)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1. Pre heat the oven to 180c
- 2. Prepare a muffin tin by greasing it with oil or prepare 12 silicone muffin cases
- 3. Finely chop the red onion and slice the olives
- 4. Whisk the eggs and mix in all the other ingredients
- 5. Divide the mixture between the muffin cases and bake for 20 - 25 minutes until the muffins are set and lightly golden on top.
- 6. Leave to cool before removing from muffin cases
- These will store in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days.
If you like the look of this recipe be sure to check out my crustless quiche recipe too which is very similar. I think if I was making these muffins again for breakfast I’d probably leave out the olives and add some bacon. The options of veggies and other add ins are endless!
Do you enjoy savoury breakfasts? How much time do you have for preparing breakfast and lunch? What is your favourite way to eat eggs?