I don’t know what’s been with me recently but I’ve had such a craving for minty flavoured things! Last week I had to treat myself to some mint choice ice cream and then made myself some mint chocolate flavoured date and nut snack balls. That was when I decided I should finally get round to trying the coconut and mint combo, with some chocolate added for good measure, by making some healthy peppermints.
These treats combine coconut oil with desiccated coconut, honey and one of my new favourite things; peppermint essential oil from doTERRA. After writing the coconut oil book and using a lot of essential oils in the preparations, I’ve become really interested in them and decided I should finally start looking at the amazing doTERRA oils I’d heard so much about.
They are incredibly pure therapeutic grade essential oils and one of the only brands that can be used internally. I’d never smelled or tasted something so fresh and pure as the peppermint oil and as well as this recipe, I’ve just been adding a drop to green tea or water to give it a minty twist. If you’d like to find out more on doTERRA essential oils check out my page here. If you don’t have a suitable peppermint oil then peppermint flavouring is fine in this recipe too.
For this recipe, I decided to make them into little ‘snow balls’ and just drizzle them with chocolate so the chocolate didn’t become too overpowering. Let me tell you these taste so good!
As they contain a fair bit of coconut oil and desiccated coconut oil they certainly aren’t low calorie so are best enjoyed in moderation. I had one and kept the rest in the freezer to help my will power!
- 1/2 cup / 80g coconut oil
- 1 cup / 80g desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons honey (or other liquid sweetener)
- 6 drops of food grade peppermint oil (or peppermint flavouring)
- 50g 70% dark chocolate
- Melt the coconut oil in a double boiler or the microwave and combine with the desiccated coconut, peppermint oil and honey.
- Line a tray with greaseproof paper and place mounds of the coconut mix on top.
- Freeze until solid.
- In the meantime melt the chocolate, then drizzle on top of the treats in a criss cross pattern.
- Place in the fridge for the chocolate to harden then enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
Like minty flavour treats? You’ll love my Mint Choc Chip Low Sugar Green Smoothie.
Do you enjoy mint flavoured things? Have you ever tried essential oils in foods?