This coming week I’m delighted to be working with Simply Beef and Lamb to share delicious recipes that are not only tasty but are also healthy and quick and easy to make. This recipe and the ones I’ll be sharing next week provide a well balanced and delicious meal that, due to the protein from the meat, will also keep you feeling fuller for longer.
The recipes are all very quick and easy to make, which I have to admit surprised me as I had thought cooking meat was a more lengthy process. These recipes certainly prove otherwise!
I do enjoy including beef and lamb in our family meals but I definitely prefer to go for quality over quantity. When buying your beef and lamb do make sure you look out for the Red Tractor Logo, which means that the produce has been assured through standards including traceability of animals from farm to pack, animal welfare, environmental protection and food safety. You can find out more about the Red Tractor Logo and what it means here.
This Aromatic Steak Salad with Freekeh and Chimichurri sounds like a flavour-packed meal that takes minutes to make. I could see this being a really delicious Valentine’s Day meal too!
Aromatic Steak Salad with Freekeh and Chimichurri
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 4 minutes
450 g / 1 lb thin cut sirloin steaks
1 x 250 g pack ready to eat freekeh or 100 g / 4 oz cracked freekeh
500 ml / 18 fl oz good, hot vegetable stock
1 red pepper, cored, deseeded and diced
1 yellow pepper, cored, deseeded and diced
10 ml / 2 tsp ground cumin
2.5 ml / ½ tsp ground turmeric
10 ml / 2 tsp rapeseed oil
Salt and freshly milled black pepper
For the Chimichurri:
1 x 30 g pack freshly chopped coriander, finely chopped
½ x 25-30 g pack flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
1.25 ml / ¼ tsp dried chilli flakes
Juice of 1 small lemon
5 ml/1 tsp runny honey
1. Remove the steaks from the fridge at least 20 minutes before cooking to bring up to room temperature.
2. If using cracked freekeh, cook according to the packet instructions, drain and set aside.
3. For the chimichurri, put all the ingredients into a small bowl, season, mix together to combine and set aside. Mix 60 ml / 4 tbsp of the herb mixture into the freekeh along with the red and yellow pepper.
4. Heat a non-stick griddle pan until hot.
5. In a small bowl mix together the cumin, turmeric and oil. Season the steaks and rub with the spice mixture on both sides.
6. Cook the steaks for 1-2 minutes on each side then thinly slice.
7. Spoon the freekeh onto a plate, arrange the steak on top, spoon over the remaining chimichurri and serve.
For everything you need to know about beef and lamb including a host of other delicious recipes, check out the Simply Beef and Lamb website.
Do you cook a lot of beef and lamb in your household? Did you know to look out for the Red Tractor logo?
*post in collaboration with Simply Beef and Lamb