Finally porridge weather is here! It really feels like autumn has swept in quickly here in the North East and as an autumn lover I honestly couldn’t be happier! It feels really nice and cosy to be able to eat warm breakfasts again, and I’ve been loving the return to porridge.
For this recipe I decided to try making almost a porridge version of my favourite matcha lattes. Adding some matcha green tea (which is pure ground green tea leaves) to the mix gives it that unique green tea flavour as well as all the benefits of matcha which include:
- ♥ 137 x the antioxidants of regular green tea
- ♥ Equivalent to 10 cups of green tea in 1 serving
- ♥ Can improve your skin from within
- ♥ Offers a caffeine boost without the anxiety (35mg per serving)
- ♥ Antioxidant content has anti-ageing properties
I really love Pure Chimp matcha which tastes really fresh and is great quality, plus they give a percentage of their profits to charity which I think is awesome.
As well as the matcha I’ve added some vanilla extract for natural sweetness and some almond butter and coconut on top because both of those flavours go so well with matcha.
- 1/3 cup of porridge oats
- 1 cup of water or non dairy milk
- Sweeter of choice - I used a little honey (optional)
- 1/2 tsp matcha green tea
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon desiccated coconut
- Place the porridge and milk or water in a pan over a medium heat and simmer until the porridge has thickened.
- Add your sweetener if using followed by the matcha and vanilla and stir well to combine.
- Pour into a bowl and top with the almond butter and coconut
Have you tried matcha green tea? What’s your favourite way of enjoying it?
*post in collaboration with Pure Chimp