Coconut oil is one of my favourite products, it has some great health benefits and can be used in so many different ways. I recently posted a pic of some new coconut oil I had bought on Instagram and found that quite a few people weren’t sure what to do with it and therefore if it is worth the money. Before I get on to some of coconut oils many uses, here are just a few of the health benefits of coconut oil:
- Coconut oil contains medium chain triglycerides (MCT’s) which have been shown to increase energy expenditure as opposed to longer chain fats. One study found that 15-30 grams of MCTs per day increased 24 hour energy expenditure by 5%, totalling about 120 calories per day (source).
- Coconut oil contains Lauric acid which has anti microbial properties
- Studies have shown that MCT’s can help you to feel fuller and therefore eat less
- Coconut oil also has great moisturising and protective effects when used topically.
Impressive eh? Here are my top ten ways to use coconut oil:
1. Roasting vegetables
Coconut oil is more staple than other cooking fats and therefore does not breakdown into harmful free radicals when heated to a high temperature. This makes it perfect for roasting veggies such as sweet potato, squash, peppers, cauliflower etc in the oven.
2. Stir frying
Just as above, if you are using a high heat coconut oil is the best oil to use. I add a tbsp when I am stir frying chicken or turkey as well as when I’m stir frying the veggies.
3. Blended coffee
Blended coffee is a great way to enjoy coconut oil as it creates a foamy dairy free latte which is perfect for having first thing as that coconut oil will help to keep you full all morning.
Adding some coconut oil to smoothies will add a little creaminess and a source of fat to support the absorption of fat soluble vitamins
Stir some into porridge to add a light coconut flavour
6. Use as a facial moisturiser
Simply melt some coconut oil between your hands and smooth into your face for ultimate moisturisation
7. Make it into my ‘feed your face’ face mask
I love my ‘feed your face’ face mask and smoothie – it’s an excellent way to get the benefits of coconut oil into your skin
8. Use on patches of dry skin
It’s great rubbed into elbows and feet to reduce dry skin
9. On stretch marks
Rub the oil into new stretch marks to help them fad or older ones to keep reducing their appearance and keep the skin supple
10. Make into my coconut and maca hormone balancing snack balls
These are delicious and pack a serious nutrient punch, make them now!
You will find that some brands of coconut oil have more of a coconut taste, generally the coconut flavour is not overpowering for most dishes, although it does work well in curries and other recipes where coconut is an ingredient. I have tried several different brands of coconut oil including Biona, Groovy Food, Fushi and Pukka have all been great.
Have you tried coconut oil before? What is your favourite way to use it?