I have really noticed a difference in my skin this winter. It’s been feeling a lot drier and looking a little lack lustre for a couple of weeks, which I think is down to the drying effects of central heating! When I thought about how I could address this, I had the idea for a face mask using nourishing avocado, coconut oil and honey – but then why just treat your skin from the outside when you can eat your nutrients too! As cold smoothies aren’t floating my boat right now, I made this one warm and comforting.
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 tbsp of honey (manuka would be best for it's antibacterial properties)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 heaping cup of mixed berries
- 1 tbsp honey
- Optional: matcha green tea powder
- Mash all ingredients together then apply to face and leave on the skin for 10 - 15 minutes. Use a face cloth to rinse off
- Warm the berries up in the microwave (I used frozen berries so nuked them for 2 minutes). Add to a blender along with the avocado and honey. Add 1 cup of water from a recently boiled kettle. Blend and serve.
So the way I would recommend doing this would be as follows…
- Run a nice warm bath with some essential oils or for something more detoxifying, epsom salts
- Light a scented candle
- Make the face mask and apply to face
- Make the smoothie
- Drink smoothie in the bath while relaxing, then remove the face mask with a cloth
- After you bath use a good skin oil for your face or body butter
- Feel amazing!
To be honest I had to try and stop myself from eating the face mask as it is. Sooo delicious, avocado with honey is one of my favourite things. The smoothie is like a thick sweet warm pudding, just gorgeous.
In terms of skin health, you are getting healthy fats, and moisture from the avocado and coconut oil. Honey is antimicrobial and the berries are full of antioxidants which can slow or prevent the effect of free radicals that cause oxidative damage to skin cells.
I am still doing my normal all natural skin routine which continues to work well, but this little ritual gives it a much needed boost for the winter. And if you needed proof this works, here’s a during and after shot…
Considering that was the morning after a drinking session I think my skin looks pretty fresh! The face mask leaves it feeling so soft and smooth.
Have you tried a warm smoothie yet? They are the way forward for the next few months in my opinion! Have you tried a home made face mask before?